Acceptable use policies for responsible Generative AI use
Generative AI is a potent tool transforming how work is done across industries, offering remarkable capabilities in content creation, translation, and research support - just to name a few. However, as with any new technology, responsible usage is paramount. At AWO, we recognize the significance of crafting acceptable use policies for Generative AI that align with your organization’s values, business needs, and risk tolerance.
Why work with AWO?
AWO has a multi-disciplinary team of experts including legal professionals, technology analysts, ethicists, and data scientists. They collaborate to create acceptable use policies that cover legal compliance, ethical standards, and industry best practices. We are also users of generative AI internally at AWO and have expertise deploying our own generative AI tools including leveraging open source models run locally to be maximally privacy preserving and help protect company data.
We understand that each organization has unique requirements. Our approach involves understanding your business, culture, and risk profile to create policies that resonate with your specific context. Generative AI tools and the legal landscape surrounding them are continually evolving. AWO’s policies are designed to be adaptable, keeping you ahead of the curve as technology and regulations progress.
Collaborating to create bespoke acceptable use policies
Acceptable use policies serve as the guiding light for your organization’s engagement with generative AI. These policies are more than just documents; they are the embodiment of your commitment to ethical AI practices, data protection, and regulatory compliance. Tailored to your business context, these policies outline the boundaries and best practices that ensure the responsible and effective utilization of generative AI tools.
- Initial Assessment and Collaboration: AWO initiates the process by collaborating closely with your organization. We comprehend your industry, business goals, and culture to lay the foundation for policy development.
- Identifying Key Issues: Our experts identify the key areas that your policy should address. This includes data protection, intellectual property rights, transparency, bias mitigation, and more.
- Custom Policy Development: Using insights gathered during collaboration, we tailor policies that encapsulate your organization’s objectives and values while adhering to legal and ethical standards.
- Feedback and Refinement: Your input is vital. AWO incorporates your feedback, ensuring that the policies resonate with your stakeholders and serve as practical guidelines.
- Rollout and Training: We guide you through the implementation process, ensuring that your team comprehends and adheres to the policies, supporting a culture of responsible AI use.
Key issues to address in acceptable use policies for generative AI
- Data Protection: Addressing how data is collected, used, and stored in compliance with relevant data protection laws.
- Transparency and Disclosure: Defining the level of transparency required when using AI-generated content and disclosing its origin.
- Ethics: Navigating ethical challenges, from the legitimacy of the data used to train the model or wider negative social impacts.
- Intellectual Property Rights: Clarifying ownership of AI-generated content and ensuring proper attribution.
- Bias Mitigation: Outlining steps to minimize bias in AI outputs and promoting fairness in outcomes.
- Security Measures: Detailing security considerations to protect organisational information from leakage, inadequate sandboxing, or poor access controls or misuse.
- Monitoring and Accountability: Establishing procedures for monitoring AI usage and assigning responsibility for compliance.
- Environmental Impact: Assessing the environmental impact of the training and use of large language models.
Roadmap for responsible generative AI use
Generative AI holds significant potential to change how we all work, but harnessing it responsibly requires a clear roadmap. With AWO’s bespoke approach, you not only safeguard your organization’s reputation but also embed ethical AI practices. In a landscape where technology and regulations are in constant flux, reach out to AWO to get support navigating the complexities of generative AI.